Monday, February 14, 2022

What are we prepared for?

This is the first Action Project for our Humanities class, Equality. We covered a lot in this unit, specifically topics on race, sex, gender, and class, and the history of those throughout American society. We also learned about the meaning of the inequalities within these categories and key terms like racism, sexism, and classism. Some other notable things we went over were white privelage, white supremacy, the history of discrimination against people of color in America, feminism, toxic masculinity, disproportionate class inequalities, the trap of the "American dream", and America's obsession with wealth, greed, and consumerism. We had deep discussions about our thoughts, brainstormed ideas, asked questions, and overall, grew on our information and exploration of these topics. 

We also had a couple FEs - one from a border defense lawyer, and the other was a woman who taught us about Zines, which is what we ended up making for this project. On that note, for this project we were challenged with creating our very own Zines, focused around retelling an event or concept from the perspective of or in favor of a marginalized voice's point of view. I chose to talk about the history of gender discrimination in schools, and society's construct of Men and Women's roles. I also wanted to include how trans and non-binary people are treated because there are more than just two gender identifications. Below, you will see a GIF of my physical Zine and then it in a slideshow form. Enjoy!

My Zine:

MEM. Zine GIF. 2022 


I hope you enjoyed looking over my project! I also hope that you might have gained some insight as to how our schooling affects us going into society and the constructs that have been placed on us in the past and still today. Overall, I really did enjoy doing this project. This is a topic that I am passionate about and I liked researching, writing, and the process of creating and physically building the Zine. It was a little challenging to get started on what to write since there is so much to say about this topic, but once I got going, I feel that I made a pretty strong project. If I were to do things differently, I probably would have added more images or more appealing imagery, but all in all, I am happy with how it turned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment